WP7 Isolated Storage Explorer is a tool designed to help developers and testers interact with the isolated storage file for Silverlight Windows Phone 7 applications.
The explorer can work both as a desktop application for testers or integrated in Visual Studio for developers.
Whenever a WP7 application/project involves storing data locally the the device, it will be to the isolated storage file. A common difficulty is accessing the data for testing or rapidly restoring the application's data/state after the isolated storage
has been reset, usually during the testing and development life-cycle.
One of the usual workarounds has been to add code to handle data transfers (to a WCF service or a remote Web Service) or just hard code test data, but this takes a lot of time and migrating the code from one project to another can take significant effort.
To help solve these issues and facilitate faster development for a WP7 application, the WP7 Isolated Storage Explorer includes the following features designed to make your life easier:
To learn how to used the WP7 Isolated Storage Explorer, check out the
- Easy installer. One simple setup file that sets everything up on a development or testing machine.
- Easy integration. Add a single reference to your project and one line of code and you're done.
- Display the isolated storage file from multiple applications at the same time.
- Desktop client that handles all the common operations. The client handles operations such as bidirectional file transfer, creating folders, deleting files and folders and can perform parallel operations on multiple remote applications
- The same intuitive client integrated in Visual Studio. Developers can debug and check the data in the isolated storage file without leaving the IDE.
- Works in the background so your phone application will not be interrupted by operations. The explorer has been tested to handle invalid operations gracefully and to not interfere with the application's purpose.
Current release features:
- WPF desktop explorer client
- Visual Studio integrated tool window explorer client (Visual Studio 2010 Professional and above)
- Supported operations: Refresh (isolated storage information), Add Folder, Add Existing Item, Download File, Delete Folder, Delete File
- Explorer supports operations running on multiple remote applications at the same time
- Explorer detects application disconnect (1-2 second delay)
- Explorer confirms operation completed status
- Explorer displays application name, version and device type
- Explorer is visible in the Extension Manager in Visual Studio
- Explorer library available on the .NET tab in the Add Reference dialog
- Explorer supports reconnect after tombstone state restore
- Explorer service running as a windows service
- Service supports multiple explorer clients running at the same time
- Explorer library is crash safe (does not affect phone application)
- Single setup installs desktop client, Visual Studio tool window and explorer library
- Setup supports updates (removes old versions and installs the new version)
||Visual Studio integrated Explorer